Saturday, May 05, 2007

Back home.....

Its been a little more than a month I have come back to Kolkata.
Yeah, its been a coming back actually. The 2 years in IIM Indore has actually been an anomaly, bot like the normal part of life it had began to seem like
Now I am home, with my mom and my sisters, and my grandmother and uncle and my dad.

It was funny at first, being back home. I felt like a tourist who had come back to view Kolkata through much-travelled and critical eyes. It was weird to have bengali spoken all around me- after these 2 years of looing for an excuse and a fellow bengali to speak the language.
Earlier the idiosyncratic bengali race seemed perfectly normal to me, now they seem like cartoons in their 'paanjabis' and their wrapped up umbrellas in hand. Kolkata was everything for me in the beginning, now it's just a stopover to (hopefully) bigger, brighter and more interesting things.

Coming home is actually like a prison term ending. I have to rebuild my life here, remember the routines left long since, and settle back into the normalcy of my situation. Yeah, there would be no coffee at 3 a.m., neither maggi nor parantha. There would not be a Siby and Deepti in the canteen to meet up with at odd hours. No Manan to tranfer songs to. NO Surya's room to stop by, and no RIcha to bitch with. No Chakri to frantically buzz for help. No Paro screaming Shubiiiiii and no Parry distributing gyan whether I needed it or not.
No Vimal and his antics (god, he is such a rockstar!), no Mahesh and our fights (although he is still keeping at it through gtalk and shitload of work!), no Anoopda and our card fights,No Shreyan and his womanizer jokes, no Tanvi and our little discussion- no anything!.
No TI, no mess, no Acadblock, no melting pot, no parties, no drinking, no internet in my house!!!
Yeah, life was normal for sure!!

I got to doing the things I didnt in Indore. Like read newspapers ( I read around 6 a day now!), like watching TV (which is such an eyesore anyway!), reading fiction (did I miss that or what!!), going to the local mall for movies on big screen (nothing beats dolby surround sound!).
Like smsing people i would meet within a dozen metres of my room. Like going for walks every morning. Like missing campus like crazy!

Yeah, I am in transit. Yeah, there is this strict clampdown on 'unrespectable things' here at home. True, most of my friends are not here, and the ones here are mostly not friends.
But it's still home. The unfamiliarity goes away in days. You then realize those 2 years that were so special because they were exceptions. Nothing comes close to being home. To the comfort, to the security, to the familair faces, and to the normalcy.

Yeah, I am so glad to be back. Even if it for 2 months.

3 Comments:

Blogger Simba said...

i miss it too...our golden days...ahhhhhhhh,..the coffee..and ur useless nonsense..i think we have grown out of the comfort of home ...with its "normalcy" and " security" wht we want is some spice..some pizzaz...and that brings something to my mind,...there is no place where i can get a pizza within a 100 m radius

8:37 AM  
Blogger Simba said...

i meant 100 KM

8:38 AM  
Blogger Mrunalini said...

:)

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home