Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Operational Risk!!

Boss, all that I have done today is sit with the operations people of my division and understand their job. And half a day with them and their work has me seriously riled.
What shit load amount of boring routine monotonous work they do day in and day out. I mean, seriously! This backend jobs phenomenon is completely mind numbing. These guys keep checking papers and uploading stuff every single day! And the work doesnt change at all. Pure paperwork and system related stuff. I seriously admire them. I mean, in half a day, I was properly fried and dried listening to them explain their work, and then finally do it myself. I can not imagine doing this for more then like 20 mins.
That brings me to the question- what exactly is meaningful work? What bosses do? Or what these guys at the back end do? And I remember what a junior had told me when i was gushing about the details of my job to him- he said, good for you, but in the end-its just a job!
It really doesnt matter- you actually are a few thousand dollars in a balance sheet worth around a few hundred million bucks. It's just something you need to do to gain acceptance in society, feel productive ( minus the larger picture), and finance our other more interesting pursuits.
More on this later, a colleague is taking us to dinner. Some of the perks of work! :D

5 Comments:

Blogger Wanderer said...

im on the blog! :-)

but, yeah, like i said, i wonder if excel sheets, word docs and ppts are any better.

4:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

8:20 PM  
Blogger Faizilla said...

Ya I can understand the plight of people stuck in routine jobs.
Having seen 3 cos so far, my advice is to know what you are & what you want. And then select a job that you think will suit you best. Money is concomitant of good performance which will (inevitably) result if you like your job. Obviously there are other factors at play too - culture, compensation, peers etc. But this personality-job fit is most imp imho.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home